Creating Geodesic was neither true pattern making nor math problem. It was something in between. Since Fall of 2014, I've gone through several different prototypes that eventually evolved into the pattern you see today. The idea was to design something that used only one pattern piece: an equilateral triangle like the ones used in a geodesic dome. This of course presented several problems, both of mathematical and stylistic origin.
I was never a math person. But of course, in the typical twist, I ended up creating patterns, which utilizes tons of math, specifically fractions, percentages and geometry. Through pattern making, I feel like I picked up a lot of the math literacy I missed out on in school and have actually grown to really enjoy it! Though it was a bit daunting trying to figure out how to adapt the dome concept to a pattern.
I figured out several things though the prototyping process that went on to inform the final pattern. I could create different sized tops by simply increasing the size of the triangle, but it made grading a bit of a challenge, since human bodies grow at different proportional rates than the triangle shape. I ended up including a side panel half triangle that would create the right body width, without the length and neckline getting way too big and allow for easier alteration. Since the triangle arms had been quite bulky, I decided to scrap them in favor of a raglan sleeve that would set in along the diagonal edge of the top row of triangles.